BELLE VERNON — Rep. Bud Cook (R-Washington/Fayette) announced today that the School Safety and Security Committee has awarded $53.7 million in School Safety and Security Grants to school districts, vocational schools, intermediate units and charter schools across the state, including eight school districts within the 49th Legislative District.
“I am excited to share that eight schools within the 49th district have received school safety and security grants,” said Cook. “Keeping our students, teachers and school facility safe and secure should be one of our top priorities and these grants will help do just that.”
Those receiving grants locally are:
• Brownsville Area School District, Fayette County - $35,000 for security planning, staff training and equipment.
• Frazier School District, Fayette County - $35,000 for security planning and trauma-informed approaches to education.
• Bentworth School District, Washington County - $30,000 for security planning and security-related technology.
• Bethlehem-Center School District, Washington County - $35,000 for safety and security assessment, planning and equipment.
• California Area School District, Washington County - $30,000 for safety and security training and assessment.
• Charleroi Area School District, Washington County - $35,000 for security planning and equipment.
• Ringgold School District, Washington County - $40,000 for security planning and equipment.
• Belle Vernon Area School District, Westmoreland County - $474,648 for security planning and equipment.
The School Safety and Security Committee is 17-member committee within the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency which was created as part of Act 44 of 2018, a comprehensive school safety law passed in 2018. One of its duties is to help distribute both meritorious and competitive grants.
The 49th Legislative District includes a portion of Washington County consisting of the city of Monongahela; the boroughs of Allenport, Beallsville, Bentleyville, California, Charleroi, Coal Center, Cokeburg, Deemston, Donora, Dunlevy, Elco, Ellsworth, Long Branch, Marianna, New Eagle, North Charleroi, Roscoe, Speers, Stockdale, Twilight and West Brownsville; and the townships of Carroll, Fallowfield, North Bethlehem, West Bethlehem and West Pike Run; and a portion of Fayette County, consisting of the boroughs of Belle Vernon, Fayette City and Newell; and the townships of Franklin, Jefferson and Washington.
Representative Bud Cook
49th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Brooke Haskell